Westchase Soccer Assocation (WSA) abides by the Florida Youth Soccer Association’s (FYSA) birth date verification process required for all participants.  Effective July 1, 2012 the State of Florida passed a bill that requires parents/legal guardians of youth athletes in sports organizations to complete a Concussion Informed Consent as part of their registration paperwork.  As a result, Westchase Soccer Association must ensure the registration form is signed by a parent, or legal guardian, whose name appears on the child’s birth certificate, so we no longer accept passports.  WSA will only accept the following as proof of birth date (for insurance purposes):

  • ORIGINAL Legal birth certificate (refer to details below). You must bring the original that contains the state’s official markings; e.g. seal, etc. A certified translation must be included if the birth certificate is not in English.  Note: If you sent the original birth certificate with a passport application, please wait until the original birth certificate is returned to you before you register.


  • Application for Birth Certificate
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Certificate of Blessing
  • Certificate of Dedication
  • Hospital Certificate
  • Immunization or other medical documents
  • Notice of Birth Registration
  • Passport (because it doesn’t contain parent(s) name(s) on the page).

Details regarding acceptable documents:

  1. The original, legal birth certificate must be issued by federal, state or provincial registrars of vital statistics in the country in which the child is participating. It must contain all the state’s official markings (e.g. seals and signatures, etc.).
  1. If country of participation differs from the country of proof of age document, copy of proof-of-age document issued by federal, state or provincial registrars of vital statistics, or local offices thereof, are acceptable proof of age, provided the document was filed, recorded, registered or issued within one (1) year of the birth of the child.
  1. Copy of an original document issued by federal, state or provincial registrars of vital statistics, or local offices thereof, listing the date of birth, with reference to the location and issue date of the original birth certificate, is acceptable. (The original birth certificate referenced must have been filed, recorded, registered or issued within one (1) year of the birth of the child.) Also issued by these agencies are photocopies of the certificate of Live birth with the certification also photocopied, including the signature, and include the seal impressed thereon. Such documents are acceptable without "live" signatures, provided the original filed, recorded, registered or issued date of the birth certificate was within one (1) year of the date of birth.
  1. For children born abroad of a parent or parents who are U.S. citizens, any official government document issued by a U.S. federal agency or service, is acceptable. For military dependents, Department of Defense identification cards and military hospital certificates are acceptable. These must be originals and must refer to a filing, recording, registration, or issue date that is within one (1) year of the birth of the child.
  1. A "Statement in Lieu of Acceptable Proof of Birth" issued by a District Administrator is acceptable. 


Certified copy-of-birth records may be obtained from the Registrar of Vital Statistics of each state, province or local office where the child was born. For U.S.-born persons, addresses of these offices or bureaus, fees required, and other pertinent information are supplied by the United States Department of HeaIth and Human Services (National Center for Health Statistics). A database listing the method for obtaining birth records from any U.S. state or territory is available at the following Internet address: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/howto/w2w/w2weIcom.htm

Individual states may also have on-line instructions on how to obtain "rush" birth records. To find out a state's latest policies regarding birth records, go to the Internet site http://www.firstgov.gov/ and type "birth records" into the search field, designate the appropriate state, then click on "SUBMIT."

Persons in the U.S. who need a copy of a non-U.S. birth record should contact the Embassy or the nearest Consulate of the country in which the birth occurred. Addresses and telephone numbers for these offices are listed in the U.S. Department of State Publication 7846, "Foreign Consular Offices in the United States," which is available in many local libraries. Copies of this publication may also be purchased from the U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402. Such proof-of-birth records must meet the criteria for acceptable proof listed above.